top of page

Military Discharge (DD214)

In Ohio, Veterans can file their military discharge papers (DD214) with the county Recorder’s Office for safekeeping. If their original is ever lost, damaged or destroyed, certified copies can be obtained from this office at no charge.

Original or certified copies of discharge papers (DD214) can be recorded in this office Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. After recording, you will receive your original or certified copy back.

The Brown County Recorder's Office encourages Veterans to have their military discharge papers (DD214) recorded in the county recorder's office.  There is no charge to record or obtain a copy of a military discharge.

Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, (DD214), is one of the most important documents that the Service will ever give you. It is your key to participation in all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs as well as several state and federal programs including, following is a list of a few:

  • Disability Compensation

  • Education and Training

  • Home Loans

  • Loan Guaranty Services

  • Vocational Services

  • Insurance Services

  • Burial & VA Cemeteries

These are just a few of the services that require your discharge papers. You should keep your original document in a safe place, and have certified photocopies available for reference. You can replace your lost discharge papers, but it takes a long time and a lot of effort.

Be safe. In Ohio you can record your DD Form 214 in your county recorder's office.

Military discharges have restricted public access.  ORC 317.24 allows authorized parties to request copies of recorded military discharges.  Proper identification MUST be presented to view and receive copies.

Authorized parties include the Veteran, a County Veterans Service Officer, an individual with Power of Attorney for the Veteran, the Executor of the Veteran's Estate, a funeral home director.

Register your DD Form 214 with your County Recorder as soon as you separate from the Service. After you record your discharge papers, they can be easily retrieved if you need additional certified copies. DD 214 Request Form.

Copies of DD214's must be requested in-person at the Brown County Recorder's Office by an authorized individual.

If you have lost your DD214 and have never recorded it, the Brown County Veterans Service Commission can direct you in obtaining a copy.  Offices are located at 474 Home St, Suite D, Georgetown, OH  45121. or call 937-378-3155 for assistance.

bottom of page